Monday, May 21, 2012

After Heartache, Learning to Laugh Again

Brittany Merriman Floyd is our writer today.




Mother’s Day has taken on a whole new meaning to me now that I myself, am a mom.  Growing up I was always very close with my mom, she has taught me so much about so many things. We are so close in fact that often we are mistaken as sisters! I know she will giggle as she reads this because to her this is one of her most cherished compliments, but to me I think, “Wait a minute, how old do you think I am?”  She’s taught me how to love, how to laugh and how to stand up for and believe in myself. She has always been there for me, no matter how much I had felt like I had failed or felt like giving up. We have a special bond, one that at many times has been tested. Through it all though, we’ve managed to become even closer.

 I’ll never forget the times where I’ve felt like no one could possibly ever love me. I had a child as a teenager and married and divorced as a teenager but through my heart break and, as I’m sure you can only imagine, her heart break my mom was with me, loving me when I thought no one could. Her unconditional love is truly one of things I admire most in my mom. Her ability to assess the situation, stay strong and calm through the storm is truly amazing to me. She built me back up after those trying times in my life and taught me how to love and to laugh again. Her model through those circumstances of what a wife and mom should be has made into the mom and wife that I am today. I don’t think it would ever be possible to thank her enough for all she’s done for me.  Thank you mom!

I couldn’t possibly end my post without sharing a funny thought, since after all we are talking about Mother’s Day and I truly have one of the best and most fun moms in town. So I’ll close with a picture. As a kid my mom and I would often be caught in front of a mirror making silly faces at each other. Yes, you can still catch us doing this today! On one occasion we just happened to be in front of a camera…!
I love you mom and Happy Mother’s Day!
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment