Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for "Xpectations"

I am a complete planner.  I try to plan out everything!  I do not like the unexpected.  By the time I was 20, I had planned out when I would get married (although the husband was not yet in sight), how old I would be when I got married, and how many children I would have.  I thought I was in control of it all - from the major stuff all the way down to the smallest details.



Last week my husband and I celebrated our "lucky 13" - our 13th wedding anniversary.  My amazing husband thought it would be wonderful to take me on a surprise destination vacation - he knew where we were going, but I would not find out until we got to the airport.  I thought it might kill me!  When he first threw this idea at me gave me this wonderful surprise, I immediately went into panic mode.... How would I know what to pack?  What would we do to occupy our 5 days away?  We needed an itinerary!!  Did I mention that I had no idea what to pack????  I had absolutely no idea what to expect!  After a few days of listening to my husband boast about his great anniversary surprise, and hearing many friends gush about how lucky I was, I decided that I needed to change my perspective.  I trusted my husband and I knew I was in capable, loving hands.  I had to let go of my own expectations and enjoy not being the one in control.  Let me just tell you that it was WAY more freeing than I could have imagined!  





Romans 8:28 says " And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  I have loved this verse for so long.  It is so comforting for me to know that when things don't go according to my own plan, it is because God has something bigger and better for me in His plan!  It took me a while to develop this perspective, because when things don't go as I planned I don't necessarily enjoy it.  However, I do remind myself that His plan is always better!


So, are you wondering how my surprise vacation worked out????  We got to the airport last Monday morning, bright and early.  We checked in and my husband handed me my boarding pass.... to San Juan, Puerto Rico!  He took me to a beautiful beach resort even though he isn't too fond of the beach.  We had a lovely week away to enjoy each other and celebrate 13 years of love and to not worry about anything else except our time together.  My wonderful hubby knew just what I needed, just when I needed it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment