Saturday, April 21, 2012

S is for Sebastian, Stephanie, and Sophia

Maria Waller wrote this lovely post for us today.  Thank you Maria for your willingness to write and share your thoughts!
S is for Sebastian, Stephanie and Sophia who are my beloved Children. Both myself and my husband feel very Blessed to have received our children, as my husband was an only child growing up and I was the older sister growing up in Sweden to my brother who is 8 years younger than myself. As I share my children with all of you, you may discover that they are just like yours or have similar character traits. I must admit that I have been the most worried about Sebastian (my first born). He is our introverted child and is not comfortable in big groups. But with God’s guidance, issues that we have been struggling with are better as Sebastian is getting older. Stephanie is the opposite of her brother. She is very outgoing and social. She is very generous and giving towards her brother and sister and others. Learning in school comes natural to both of my older children. Sophia is our athlete and is not happy unless she is outdoors and playing a sport or is together with her many friends. She does not have it quite as easy to learn in school but is getting help from a wonderful “extra” teacher every day. I know of many people who are not able to have children. I will never forget the time when I unintentionally hurt my friends feelings right after that she and her husband had a miscarriage. It is difficult to find words in a situation like that but I wanted to show them our condolences. So I was honest when telling my friend “that many times it can be easier to get a dog” while waiting for the blessing to receive a child. I think about her often but she has not said much to me after that statement. Perhaps she does not like dogs? But in my opinion, dogs are man’s best friend.

“Teach me Your way. O Lord, And lead me in a smooth path…Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, Wait, I say, on the Lord” Psalm 27:11, 14-15

 There are many people in our community that are feeling alone, full of grief and abandonment. I miss my family in Sweden. If I had to give good parenting advice other than praising God as a family, it would be to spend lots of time with your children.
We have gotten to know some very nice folks in our Connect group at Church. One of the Families invited all of us to their home in Nokesville for Easter put luck. It just happened to be our sweet baby sitter’s family that we used a lot before she went on to College. So Stephanie and Sophia especially had a fantastic time in their lawn playing games and being together with their much missed friend along with the other kids. Sebastian preferred to watch from a distance, but I could see a smile on his face too. We had a great time!

Being a program coordinator for the Exchange student program every Summer is like being a piece in a puzzle. The JOY on the students faces as they experience love and acceptance from their host families is priceless. This opportunity to share in a student’s life is fantastic. It makes us all very busy as well as Sebastian, Stephanie and Sophia during these four weeks they are here and myself less home sick. I always felt it was my part to be sure that no student missed this exciting adventure because I did not do my job recruiting the best host family available.


Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--  "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."  Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.






No comments:

Post a Comment