Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Laughter


I love to laugh. In my family I am known as the one who laughs at everything. My siblings and I would play 'make me laugh' as kids and I was always the first to lose it and crack up. I could never not laugh. It is one of the major reasons I fell in love with my husband and it even helps me decide how to pick my friends. My favorite people to be around are the ones who can find the not so serious side of things and who can make me laugh, no matter what else is going on in my life. A good belly laugh can really change my perspective and make me feel lighter. There is no better remedy for a lousy day then to get together with my girlfriends and laugh until my sides hurt.

The bible mentions laughter more then 40 times. God promises us good times even if they are not right now. Luke 6:21 - "Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh". Sometimes it is hard to laugh with our painful circumstances but too often we let life drag us down with the small stuff and steal our joy.

Laughter is so infectious. It makes you feel good and connects you to others. You have a chance to not only improve your own mood but those around you when you laugh out loud. Did you know that laughter also has actual physical benefits? It protects you from the effects of stress, boosts your energy, strengthens your immune system and has even been shown to temporarily relieve pain. That is a powerful free drug. Use it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm naming and counting God's gifts to me, so thank you for the reminder of what a great gift it is to laugh. May you be blessed today with frequent, long, hard, belly laughs as you walk through this day and the days to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your post! I needed to be reminded of just how powerful laughter can be! Thanks, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete