Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Here We Go Again

Seems like every time we turn around another big name has been caught in an affair. Last week: Arnold Schwarzenegger. The disgust rages. The jokes are rampant. I confess my gut reaction involved some choice name calling. But I wonder what Christ is thinking now and how He is feeling. I’m guessing He’s not making jokes. I imagine He’s very saddened. Naturally, I think most everyone has tremendous compassion for Maria Shriver and all the children involved, and rightfully so. But do you suppose God’s heart is breaking not only over the wounds that have been inflicted on so many innocent people, but also for the one who committed the sins? Do you suppose He’s grieved by the distorted thinking and lies that must have driven the man’s behavior?

If Arnold Schwarzenegger showed up at GLCC this Sunday, how would we respond? Would we tell him that God still loves him and wants to restore him and have relationship with him? Would we invite him to Soul Restoration where he could begin to learn about choosing life? Would we come alongside him and walk with him through the fire of his journey. Would we tell him that Christ died to take away his guilt and shame so that he might have abundant life?

Don’t get me wrong, I am in no way condoning his choices; I am sickened by them. I do however think that we, myself included, forget sometimes that celebrities are people just like us. People who make very bad choices sometimes. People who need Jesus. People who need prayer. I don’t know about you, but I’m very thankful that all of my uber-bad choices don’t make the six o’clock news and I’m thankful that I’m surrounded by people who show me grace, point me to Christ, and lift me up in prayer.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! You are really making me think on this one! On one hand, I hold celebrities to a higher standard, simply because their lives are so public and so many people look up to them. In Arnold's case, I believe this includes boys seeking a role model for being "manly". (Remember, "Hasta la vista, baby?") Is this what a real man is supposed to do?

    On the other hand, you and I both know that Arnold is only human. (PB once said, "Even the best man is a man, at best".) Only sinless Jesus deserves our emmulation, not a Hollywood fabricated persona. Living in Tinseltown must be especially difficult, surrounded by such temptation and values that see self-gratification as normal and right.

    All this said, I hope I would do as you suggest :). Judgment is God's job. He alone knows the heart, and where there is repentance, there is hope.

    ReplyDelete