Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Knowing the Truth


In the movie, The Help, there is a little girl named Mae Mobley. She is a white child who is considered to be plain by her very pretty mother. As a result she is not petted and flattered but is treated with shame. The maid, Aibileen, tells little Mae Mobley every day that she is kind, smart and important. Every day so she'll remember and store it up for the times she won't hear it from her own mother. The scene made me cry because it reminded me of my own childhood.



You're stupid.
You're ugly.
Nobody will ever want you.
You're fat.
You don't have any friends.
You'll never have a husband.

You .......fill in the blanks. These are words I heard over and over as a child and as a teen. You might wonder who would say such things to a child and then to a developing young woman. Let's just say it wasn't my parents or my sister. Perhaps as we get to be closer friends, I'll share more with you, but for the time being we'll call him Hurt. His goal was to cause as much of it as possible and to this day I don't know why.

What I do know is this. I have lived most of my life trying to believe differently and it is only through the love of the Lord Jesus Christ that I have been able to accept some different phrases about myself.

You are loved.
You are beautiful.
You are wanted.
You are MY precious child.
You are MY wonderful creation.
You are MY workmanship.
You will shine like the stars.
You are full of goodness.
You are more than a conqueror.
You are SET FREE!

Have you been believing lies about yourself? Don't you long to hear the truth and know in your heart of hearts that you are precious to Jesus? I hope you do know that and will repeat over and over that you are all of these wonderful things and so much more. Aibileen had it right. Let's start learning new truths about ourselves to store up against the lies.






1 comment:

  1. Oh that makes me so sad...and mad. But what a blessing that you have been able to replace Hurt's lies with our Father's truth. The world is full of hurtful and mean spirited people which is why it's so important for us to speak words of life to each other. I think of that often as I interact with my grandchildren and dread the day one of them comes home with hurt feelings because of an untruth spoken to them or about them. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete