Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Give thanks in ALL circumstances...



So lately my life has felt like an out of control tornado. Now, I'm this type A, plan it all out, go in with my list type of gal - which has made things a bit difficult. I would describe my day-to-day recently as this... Make a list and juggle it around with everything else that gets thrown my way throughtout the day. Sound like fun? Ya, not to me either! Then I realized last weekend that I was turning into a complete grump. Boo-Hiss! I don't like having the grumps :( Especially when I have one of those aha moments where you realize that you're so wrapped up in your own grumps that you are failing to be there for others when you should be (Boo-Hiss again!).



I've made a conscious decision. I'm not going to let my "boohoo moments" get the best of me! Now, this isn't an easy trick. There must be a zillion times a day when my brain starts going "are you kidding me???" or "oh no, not again" or "seriously? the kids are fighting again?!" or "I wish I didn't have to..." BUT, there's this little bible verse that says "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Yes, you read that correctly... it said to give thanks in ALL circumstances. Not just when you are being blessed, or when things are going the way that you had planned, but in ALL circumstances. OUCH, I haven't been doing very much of that last week! This week, with the help of that verse repeating over and over and over again in my brain, I've been doing much better.



Now, let me tell you how my day began. I got up early and got ready for work. I got to work a little before 9. At 9:20 I get a text from my husband that says "Got to go. When can you come home?" The cop husband had been called in to work. Deep breath... I asked if he could just bring the kids to my office. Well, one was still asleep, the other still in his pj's. Trying to keep myself calm... frazzled that I have to explain the situation to my bosses, irritated that I got out of bed early and got all ready for work to have to leave after 20 minutes. I finished a few things and got in my car to drive home at 9:45 and started thinking -- I sure am lucky to have a husband that loves me. I sure am blessed to have a husband with a stable career. Wow, how great is it that I have three healthy kids?! My day isn't at all going as I had planned but I'm finding the good... being thankful in ALL things!

2 comments:

  1. I think the Lord has us "adjust" our days sometimes to remind us of what is important. I barrel through life trying to achieve my own agenda and push all sorts of things to the sidelines, hoping to get back to them someday. God needs us to attend to the important things TODAY, not someday. Jen, I appreciate your reminding me to cherish the things that are important and not fret over the things I can't change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I loved reading about the "180" God did on your attitude! Only He can cause such a sudden change like that. I guess we really can choose what we focus on. A great lesson on being thankful! I'm thankful for you and your article :)

    ReplyDelete