Monday, July 30, 2012

Buenos Amigos!



This past Sunday our guest speaker, Pastor Pimentel from Brazil, spoke on friendships. What makes a good friend? How to be a good friend and the way Jesus modeled to us what a friendship should be.  It was an encouraging message and as the day progressed I was able to see how my husband and I and our kids had been blessed with friendships that our whole family could enjoy.  What a blessing it was!  We had a full house and we LOVED it!
See, I’ve never had any problems with friendships and being a friend. I believe that quote that says: “People come into your life for a reason, a season  or a lifetime “ and in fact I have people in my life that I have known since middle school. In all honesty it’s sometimes hard to maintain those friendships, especially when everyone doesn’t live next door anymore and each person has their own lives. For us though making the time for dinner once a month has continued to nourish that friendship and keep us bonded. Then there are the friendships that have run their course and I can honestly say I am ok with that too.
But after marriage finding mutual friends had been a challenge. My husband moved to Virginia from Montreal and so all his friends were mostly lost to distance and mine were all from the single scene and he wasn’t able to form a connection with them.  So for the first few years of our marriage I felt I was my husband’s only friend.  I started to feel guilty going out with my girls and when he would text me a question “what time do you think you will be home?” I would read “when are you coming home?.”  I wasn’t able to enjoy my time out with my friends as I felt I had to hurry home. It wasn’t really something that my husband had ever said to me, just something I felt inside. 
Fast forward finding ODBC (now GLCC) and beginning our walk as a family with Jesus. We were invited to a dinner a few years ago and something so simple was the beginning of a beautiful relationship with this family.  They are very special to us and have helped us in ways they probably don’t even know. The wealth of knowledge they shared on marriage and the time we spent over coffee talking about couple things are priceless. Just watching their easy going style, sharing their home even playing their family games have been wonderful memories for us. We even spend New Year’s Eve with them this year!  
They were at our house for a BBQ last night and my good friend tells the Pimentel’s how my husband and I are examples of the friendships he spoke on to them. I was so blessed and touched by her words. I just told the Pimentel’s that they were the same for us. I didn’t elaborate, because I don’t think I could have even begun to explain in words what they mean to us without crying and not making any sense at all. I hope they know that we feel the same way towards them and their family and that they have made a deep impact in our lives ♥  This song says alot of whats in my heart and what I wanted to say:




We have been so blessed in the friendships that we have made as a family in this church.    Our children and my husband look forward to the weekend so that we can spend time with these friends. The couple last night and another couple we spend time with almost every week have been so wonderful and a gift to our family as well. I will have to write about them in another blog as they are also so special to us J .
I thank God for these lovely people and that through them we experience love and friendship as well.

Colossians 3:12-14 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment