Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Yearly Date with Dad!


Every February, Grace Life Community Church hosts a Father/Daughter dance. My daughter has gone with my husband for the past 4-5 years. Now, in our house this is not just a one night event. There is LOT building up to this night!
First, we have to find the most perfect dress - NOT an easy task. I must be the one to take my daughter shopping, as Dad cannot see the dress until the moment she walks down the stairs, ready to go, on the night of the dance (make my heart melt!!). My husband starts talking up the dance as soon as it's announced. When my daughter was younger, she would smile and smile -- her excitement would be 100% evident. This year she started middle school and has become an avid eye-roller. As my husband talks about his excitement for the dance this year, she rolls her eyes with a hidden smirk of excitement. Tonight I told her that she MUST attend the dance with her dad every year until, ummm, forever! Because if she were to say she didn't want to go I think he would cry for about a week. Anyway, the day of the dance is full of hair fixing and now even a bit of make-up. I help her get dressed, then I rush to the bottom of the stairs to snap pictures (and to shed a few happy tears).
I can't express how grateful that I am for the GLCC Father/Daughter dance. This is the one night that my husband can put his goofiness aside and honestly and openly express to our daughter how much he loves her and how important she is to him (yes, sometimes he does need an excuse to show his emotions... he's a man! :)). And even though my daughter would never admit how important the night is to her - scroll back up to the picture at the beginning of this post, look at her face and you will see just how important it is to her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment