Monday, January 30, 2012

three little words




I have been working for Home Instead Senior Care for about a year now. I have one client I have continued to see even though I finally got my full time school job. My shifts with her are 2-four hour evenings and an eight hour day on Saturday. This past Friday night I got a call from the main office and ended up accepting an eight hour shift on Sunday too.

Saturday was going to be a big day. Her husband made arrangements to take her to a play and then to dinner. Sounds like an easy day, doesn't it? The only problem is that she had a stroke 2 years ago and is unable to speak or care for herself. Her husband is very devoted to her and treats her like a princess. I said a prayer Friday night asking that we have a day without mishaps and that just, perhaps, she would communicate with her husband with three little words. So Saturday, we (Mr. and Mrs., myself and 2 other caregivers) packed a bag of supplies, put the wheelchair in the trunk, and left the house from 12 to 6 for a play and dinner. Everything went well and Mrs. really enjoyed her day out.

Sunday morning I arrived and the first thing her husband said was,
“I think she enjoyed her day. As I was getting her ready for bed, she said, ‘I love you’…..”

wow…..thank you, God, for giving them that moment…..


1 Corinthians 13:4-7

New International Version (NIV)

Love is patient, love is kind.

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

4 comments:

  1. What an encouragement for you and for this lady's husband. I am so touched by his desire to treat his wife as a princess, even though she can't respond. I know those three words meant the world to him...and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Paula that was just so precious, thanks for sharing. I have never been in your blog it is so cool. How do you know how to do all this and where do you find the time for all this Ha! You are always so uplifting I love you my friend. Have a great day.
    Jeanne Whitman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, Sheila wrote it and posted it:) We are all learning as we go along and God is good to keep us supplied with moments where we see His hand in our lives. Maybe we can get you to write something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. update.....this dear lady passed away this past Saturday.....please say a prayer of peace for her husband.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete