Thursday, March 1, 2012

Learning to Walk


I couldn't wait for my little boy to learn how to do things. I spent so much time with him practicing rolling over, and sitting, scooting, and finally standing. Then came walking and those first lurching steps holding onto my hand were incredibly exciting for me. We would stroll around the house or along the sidewalk, my body contorted as I leaned over far enough for him to grasp my big hand with his little one. I knew he was just on the cusp of walking on his own, but when I let him go, he would wobble, go weak in the knees and then plop his little bottom down and sit.

At this point I noticed a funny thing. If, as we were walking, I let go, he would drop. If, as we were walking, I slowly eased my hand away...letting him hold a finger....and then replaced it with a CRAYON (yes a crayon of all things) he would continue on uninterrupted for a few more steps. I did this several times and found it so interesting that he would walk on, thinking he was holding my hand, when in reality, all he had was a slender cylinder of colored wax...but it gave him confidence and he walked.

Why am I writing about walking babies holding crayons? I have had a letter today...an honest to goodness letter and it brought something to mind. In it, a young lady shared with me her desire to learn to walk with the Lord, independent of anyone she might be leaning on too much. She desires to learn to trust God fully and have a relationship with Him...fully, one that does not come from other people being her support. My heart is full to overflowing that this precious young lady is seeking God's face and stepping out with courage to see where He will take her in her life. It's not easy and it's not always fun, and it's not always pretty, but I know that when we seek Him, He is there. He Promises.

So, my young friend, as you step out on your own, taking your baby steps toward the Lord, know His hand is holding yours and that He won't let you go....

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment