Thursday, March 29, 2012

Gravy


A person could learn a lot from a dog. I know I learn from my dog, Daisy. She's so clever, but boy is she stubborn and she picks up bad habits in a flash.

She's getting a little porky, so we've been trying to reduce her food intake...just a wee bit...but she is not having it. The problem is that I've been spoiling her and adding little treats to her food, just a bit here and there, and now she won't eat her dry kibble. So, I either give her a bit of "gravy" every time she eats or I suffer the LOOK. You know the one I'm talking about, the sad brown eyed, why don't you love me look that goes right to my heart and sends me to the treat jar. I'm trying to break her of the habit.

This treat war has made me think. Who provides for my needs? God. When does he provide? Daily. Do I want for anything? No. But, I am dissatisfied with the dry kibble in my bowl. It's a little boring and I'm a little tired of it and I want gravy! Lord, give me gravy in order to make my everyday life a bit more palatable and I'll be a happy tail wagging kind of girl! But, no gravy and I'll look in my bowl and sigh and lay down with a disappointed huff. Harumpph!

So, I wean Daisy from the gravy and teach her to be thankful for what she gets. This is a process and it won't be easy because she is SOOOO spoiled, and it's not going to be easy for me, either. I'm going to practice it...each and every day giving thanks for the simple things and having a grateful heart that my NEEDS are met. God can decide when He's going to give me gravy or even IF He's going to give me gravy, and I will practice being content and thankful.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Paula. I've been thinking a lot lately about the difference between needs and wants. This is another good reminder to make the distinction.

    ReplyDelete