Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Popcorn Strings



Pastor Bob’s message Sunday encouraged me to think about a few things in my life. The story he told  about how the family spend their time in preparing for a celebration by stringing popcorn for the Christmas tree because it was the most fun thing to do, but neglected the other details that would make the full celebration and so when the time came, there was no food,  Christmas tree, etc.  It made me think about how that applies to me.  Now, people who know me know that I am not the one stringing popcorn.  No, I am a Martha (Luke 10:38-42) but his message challenged me anyways.

There was a time in my household when my husband and daughter preferred not to have people over because I would spend all day cleaning the house and make them do it with me. Now to my defense I work full time and so by the time we cleaned it would take longer, especially since they only helped if someone was coming over.  It wasn’t fun. And by the time our guests were there, we were exhausted.  So yes, our story was the other extreme, but it got me to thinking. The Lord has really worked in me and shown me these last few years that there is a time to be Martha and a time to be Mary and to prioritize my life so that I can enjoy those times.
So maybe you are a Martha, or maybe you are a Mary and neither of these two is wrong, they just have to work together. That is the real secret that is no secret at all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment