Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tori Spelling and God's Word.....Yes....I Said Tori Spelling

Saw an article this morning that is so in line with what I'm studying right now that I had to share this bit.  Tori Spelling, actress and daughter of one of the most wealthy men in Hollywood before his death, told of how her boyfriend would tell her 10 times a day how ugly she was.  She confesses in the article that the verbal abuse shattered her confidence and hurt her for years.  She wrote a letter to her younger self, saying what she wished someone had told her then.  Her words,  'I would tell 21-year-old Tori that she's strong, beautiful, smart, and can do anything that she sets her mind to. At 21, my biggest obstacle (well, aside from a bad boyfriend) was myself.' 

Words can build up or they can tear down.  Have you even had someone in your life use hurtful words against you?  I know I have, and like Tori Spelling (funny to think I have anything in common with her) it has taken me years and God's help to overcome them.

This Sunday, our connect group will be starting a study series entitled Soul Detox.  The first installment has to do with life giving words, or life destroying words.  The pastor speaks of a man who came to the church office and he was down and depressed and had nowhere to go but up.  One on one, they sat and talked and the pastor asked him to list 100 things about himself that were positive and the man immediately said he couldn't do it.  The pastor got a piece of paper, numbered from 1-100 and looked the guy in the eye and said, "Let's get started."  At first it was a struggle, but after a few minutes, the ideas started rolling and before long, they had added to the list...eventually making it to 100 positive things.  He left that office a man who had turned some lies into truth and had begun taking the steps toward freedom from hurtful words.

Years later, the man showed up in the pastor's church with his wife and young child.  He came up after the service and said, "Do you remember me?  I'm the guy you sat down with so many years ago and made that list.  Here it is."  He pulled a much folded and unfolded piece of paper out of his pocket and he gave it to the pastor.  "I don't need it anymore.  You can have it.  I know all of these things now and they are written on my heart."

What words are written on your heart?  Are they mean words someone spoke to you telling you how stupid and ugly you are?  Are they words that are crippling you....words that are tearing you down?  If so, know this.  The Bible is God's true word and it says this:

Psalm 139:14  You are fearfully and wonderfully made!
Zephaniah 3:17  He takes great delight in you!
1 John 4:16  God loves you....you can rely on Him!
John 3:16  God loves you so much....He gave His son for you!

So, maybe you have something in common with Tori Spelling and it isn't her money.  Maybe you have been beaten up with words too often and you are feeling pretty low.  Don't believe the lies.  Listen to God's truth and know He loves you and you are dear in His sight.  Get out a piece of paper and number 1-100 and get started.....maybe you'll be able to give the list to me someday and tell me you don't need it anymore.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.........

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Paula! I'm sure this speaks to many -- it sure speaks to me! :o)

    ReplyDelete