Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Moving On Up


Passing through Manassas Battlefield this morning on my way to Bible study, I saw the old split rail fences and was reminded of a saying, "Every bottom rail eventually winds up on top". Farmers who used that type of fence would often rotate the boards out so the bottom one wouldn't rot as quickly, so eventually, the bottom one made it all the way to the top. Practical thinking!
Another way to apply this practically is to our current earthly conditions. I have so many friends and acquaintances who are going through tough times and I know they feel like they've been that bottom rail a long time and things are about as rotten as they're going to get. Our Creator, the very first landscaper if you want to call Him that, sees the needs we have and is moving in our lives, even when we can't feel it. Trust Him to make the changes that will lift you and me up, give us new opportunities and new ways to praise Him when our time as the bottom rail has passed.

Psalm 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment